– Check-ing off books on my ‘to-read’ list. Another month of book after book. What have I been reading? What have I liked? What have I disliked?
- Books I’ve Liked:
– The Honest Life by Jessica Alba: What an informative look into living a more natural, ‘honest’ lifestyle. I wasn’t a fan of Jessica Alba prior to reading this book but I had a ton of respect for her now. Her research, passion and true concern for health and well-being is something to admire.
– The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri: Lahiri’s “The Namesake” has made the list of my ‘all-time’ favorite books. I loved everything about this book and believe that Lahiri is truly one of the most brilliant writers of our time. As with her other novels, I was completely taken with the flow of her lyrical, warm narrative.
– Once Upon a Flock by Lauren Scheuer: If you have any interest in raising chickens or just want an adorable, quick read; I highly suggest you pick up Scheuer’s memoir of her life with chickens! Think grown-up picture book + memoir 🙂
– The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg: A great explanation of the existence of habits and how they can be changed. Parts of this book were more difficult to get through than others but it was highly informative.
- Books I’ve Disliked:
– The Dinner by Herman Koch: The first half of this book was a page-turner. The second half…not so much.
– The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: I’m sorry but I just didn’t love this book. I have tried to sit down to read it over the past couple of years but it was just too depressing to get through. I finally decided to sit down and read it over the past couple of weeks and, unfortunately, I just don’t understand all of the hype. Sure it had a few memorable quotes but I am walking away wishing I would have chosen a different book.
– The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs: I loved Jacobs “Drop Dead Healthy” but this just wasn’t as good. My negative review – by no means – alters my belief that Jacobs is a talented writer (with a wonderful ability to make me laugh); however, this one just didn’t cut it.
– Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster: Randomly picked it up as a quick read and, while it was, I just didn’t enjoy it. Lancaster comes across as arrogant and was really off-putting. Skip it!
– Enjoy-ing a new local restaurant! Marty and I were biking a couple of Sunday’s ago and decided to go for a mid-day drink. As we biked up the main stretch of restaurants in Columbus’ short north, we stumbled upon The Pint House & Beer Garden. The big draw to this place is a retractable roof that lets the sun shine in and giant, floor-to-ceiling windows that can open to the sidewalk. The menu is small but offers fresher versions of ‘bar food’. I haven’t tried anything but the Grilled Chicken Salad but the Pretzel Sampler Platter looks and sounds delicious! We’ve been back several times since 🙂
– Look-ing forward to fall! See below.
– Chang-ing up my routine! Over the past couple of weeks Marty and I have reorganized our schedule for a more consistent routine. He wakes up around 430AM, reads the Bible while eating breakfast and meets his friend at the gym (not before greeting me with a cup of coffee and a piece of fruit around 450AM.) I then get out of bed around 5AM and head to the gym for an early morning workout (spinning 3-4x/week and weight lifting on the other days!) After my workout, I head to Starbucks (or a park) and do a devotional before I have to work at 8AM. I seriously LOVE this new routine and it has been so helpful to 1) spend time in the word each morning and 2) complete an early workout so I don’t have to go after work (taking away from my evening with Marty or friends.)
Life Lately (According to my Android)
(Top left to bottom right) One of my favorite places to brunch in Columbus (and they have the best veggie burger EVER!), my sister and I on the night before her wedding, Mary Poppins showing at the old Ohio Theater, ‘selfie’ in front of the Ohio Theater, Miss Cameron enjoying an afternoon at the park, Roscoe missing his doggie friends, reading around the pool, a scrumptious breakfast of Greek Yogurt & an egg white sandwich, Mr. Ethan at the Adventure Park in Powell, Sunday afternoon date with the husband (at Ohio State library!)
Lastly- thank you to Brandi at Faith Fitness & Laughter for nominating me for The Sunshine Award 🙂 You’re so sweet and I love following your blog!
What have you been up to this August? What have you been reading? Have you made a fall bucket list? Can you believe it is almost September!?!